Tuesday, August 5, 2014

What to do with those extra cents?

Well this post is actually a self-realization. Whenever I go to the groceries, I usually get a cent or two for change. What I normally do when the cashier gives them to me is I either refuse to get them or I'll throw them away. Not that I don't save or care about my finances, but I honestly just don't value cents so much thinking they can't even buy me a single candy. Well, I know that's wrong but I just can't care less until recently. This happened when I started to run the errand of paying the utilities, which is frequently done by either my father or my sister-in-law. I would probably be wasting those pennies if not for the cashier from Bayad Center.
I was paying Meralco and Manila Water bills that day. I paid the electricity bill first and the cashier gave me 50 cents of change. I told the cashier to keep them thinking that my Manila Water bill is P1200 flat and no cents anyway.  But the cashier suggested to add those cents to the total payment for my water bill. By that, I avoided wasting them and I will even have a credit for my next bill. And yes, she made me realize how wrong I was wasting them. If I can just keep the extra cents and when it's time to pay the bills, I can add them to my total payment and have a credit in my billing account. Not really a big deal but I found a reason how to value those extra cents from that day on!

No comments:

Post a Comment