Sunday, August 3, 2014

BPI, BPI Family Savings Bank and BPI Direct. How are they different?

Had I not looked at it closely and not let my curiosity bother me, I would not have noticed or probably cared what the differences are among BPI, BPI Family Savings Bank and BPI Direct. I know in my mind that I have always wondered why there are these different labels but I did not really take an effort to find out. Like for example there is a BPI Express Teller and there is BPI Family Savings Bank Express Teller. It confuses me why would there be a separate Express Teller for BPI and BPI Family Savings Bank when they are both BPI for me!

Since I am planning to open an account,
I did my due diligence of research and had a quick look at the rates and interest details. Well boy I found some answers to my questions. They may be both Express Teller but the rates and interests differ among BPI, BPI Family Savings Bank and BPI Direct! Like for example, Express Teller of BPI has a maintaining balance of P3,000 while only P1,000 for Express Teller savings of BPI Family Savings Bank! Same with interest rate, one has interest of 0.250% and 0.500% on the other.

But why? How is one better than the other? Why would they offer lower maintaining balance or higher interest rate on one and not the other?

So I called the Customer Service and the pleasant lady I spoke with explained to me why this is so.

I found out that BPI basically is the main company and BPI Family Savings Bank and BPI Direct are subsidiaries. And if you have a BPI account for example, you can only transact with a BPI branch and not with BPI Family Savings Bank branch and vice versa.

I was told that the main difference between BPI and BPI Family Savings Bank is the number of branches they have available. She said that BPI is more suitable for corporate accounts as this has more branches available and can accomodate more business transactions since there are many branches.

While BPI Family Savings Bank is more appropriate for consumer account. It looks like this is the better option for the masses as this gives depositors higher interest and lower maintaining balance. Though this has fewer branches, I was told.

As for BPI Direct, this is apt for those who are abroad (OFWs) because there is no requirement to transact with a physical branch and this can be done over the phone or probably online.

Each type tries to meet the different needs of the customers depending on what type of depositor they are.

I have also read somewhere that the type of account you have may affect the basis the bank will use in processing your loan requests. For example, if you don't really have a business but you got a BPI account which is for corporate, then they may check your business history as a basis for your loan approval.
You can read more about that here: http://www.philstar.com

So technically, these 3 differ when it comes to rates (maintaining balance and interest rate), branch availability, and type of depositor suitability.

28 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing the info :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this info! Very informative. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Big help.. now i know.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now I know. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So, if I will be applying for Save Up Savings and I only have an account on BPI, I can only apply in BPI, not in Family Savings Bank?

    ReplyDelete
  6. But you can withdraw at any BPI ATM machines no matter what kind of BPI account is that?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No. I've tried it already..

      Delete
    2. I have BPI Direct. I can withdraw at any BPI ATM.

      Delete
  7. This is very helpful, thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sums up my search and saves me time to call the bank today. lol! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. It helped me a lot. Planning to changed my bank account from bdo to bpi because of some viral lost of money post. I saw at an fb post that bpi family savings bank has a higher interest rate. I wonder why, but now I know. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for detail explanation, much appreciated :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. what if the my boss transferred money from her BDO account to my BPI savings account but she indicated BPI Family Savings Bank since it was the only category which has the ten digit account so she have chosen that, will that be alright?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have the same problem as of the moment. How was it resolved?

      Delete
  12. Thank you !!! very informative

    ReplyDelete
  13. What if BPI family will close down, is the BPI get affected too? and vice versa?

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'M NOW FULFILL FINANCIALLY BECAUSE OF THE LOAN I GOT FROM LFDS .I would like to bring this to the notice of the public about how i came in contact with Mr Benjamin after i lost my job and being denied loan by my bank and other financial institution due to my credit score. I could not pay my children's fees. I was behind on bills, about to be thrown out of the house due to my inability to pay my rent, It was during this period my kids were taken from me by foster care. Then i set out to seek for funds online where i lost $3,670 that i borrowed from friends which i was rip off by two online loan companies. Until i read about:loan online (247officedept@gmail.com) somewhere on the internet, Still wasn't convince because of what i have been through until a relative of mine who is a clergy also told me about the ongoing loan scheme  at a very low interest rate of 1.9%% and lovely repayment terms without penalty for default of payment. I have no choice than to also contact them which i did through text +1-989-394-3740 and Mr Benjamin responded back to me That day was the I'M best and greatest day of my life which can never be forgotten when i receive a credit alert of $400,000.00 Usd loan amount i applied for. I utilized the loan effectively to pay up my debts and to start up a business and today i and my kids are so happy and fulfill. You can as well contact them through email: (247officedept@gmail.com)  WhatsApptext  helpline: +1-989-394-3740 Why am i doing this? I am doing this to save as many that are in need of a loan not to be victim of scams on the internet. Thanks and God bless you all, I'm Oleksander Artem from Horizon Park BC , Ukrain.

    ReplyDelete
  15. WOW.. Informative. thank you so much!

    Merry Christmas Everyone. I have BPI and BPI Family Savings Bank. GodBless us!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What if my cousin in singapore send money to me using bpi direct but my account here in philippines is bpi savings can i still get the money thru my account

    ReplyDelete
  17. Or if can i still recover the money?

    ReplyDelete